Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Deaf Culture

Living with three deaf neighbors and working with deaf professors has really been an interesting experience for me. I had a very wrong perception of deaf people and deaf culture before I moved here. The only exposer I had to anything deaf related were the two younger brothers of my two friends growing up. If I remember correctly, both had challenges mentally and/or physically besides the deafness, so I wrongly associated the two. I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that the deaf have a very unique and thriving culture and that the deaf can do anything a hearing person can.

It's amazing how specific American sign language is. I had no idea what I was getting into, but I really love deaf people and the deaf culture.

No comments: