Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, December 19, 2008

I'm Engaged!


Brent and I the day he came home. We hadn't seen each other for 22 months or spoken for about 11 months.







Yes, the rumors are true. Brent and I got engaged tonight. It's kind of a long story, so I'm doing the best I can to tell it all.

There's kind of a pre-story to the story. Brent and I met....well, we don't really remember when we met for the first time, (Brent says it was a birthday party at Claire's house) but the time that really counts is when I went to Homecoming my junior year. We both had different dates, but we danced a few times. We went to Christmas dance that same year and started really liking each other.

He left about 15 months after our first real date to serve an LDS mission in Mesa, Arizona. I wrote faithfully for about 22 months, when I characteristically had a panic attack about the entire situation and told him that I needed a break.

I lasted 3 whole weeks withouth him and with some counsel from my bishop. started writing to him again.

We were just working out the kinks in our relationship when I had 2 voicemails from his dad first telling me that Brent was coming home sometime in the week because of some issues with testicular cancer, and the second saying that Brent was coming home the next morning at 10:13 am on some delta flight....

You can only imagine that I was a little more than unprepared. I rushed through the next several hours trying to get assignments done, go shopping for a new outfit, and pull myself together enough to prepare for the next day.

Brent came home December 3rd, where he got off the plane at 10:30, was in doctor's offices for most of the afternoon, was released at 7:30 that evening. The next day he had surgery to remove the cancer, and we've been in and out of the doctor's office ever since.


Brent and I at Temple Square about a week ago

I feel a little crazy because Brent's only been home for 2 1/2 weeks, but we've had a lot of time to talk and to spend getting to know each other. In some ways, it feels like he never left, but he's a man now. I dragged him into Morgan Jewelers on Wednesday night just to look around, and he spend today with his father talking about marriage and his future. He decided that there was no time like the present.

So, he was supposed to meet me early today, at around 1 or 2 in the afternoon. He kept calling me to tell me that he was working on something with his father and that he'd be with me soon. He finally called me at about 6 and I picked him up from the train station. He told me he'd been looking at rings with his dad and asked me how I felt about it. I told him that I felt like it was really fast, but that I wasn't panicking like I usually do. I told him I felt okay with everything.

When we got to my house, he took me for a walk around my house, and told me that he knew he didn't have a lot to offer right now, and that it would be a huge gamble for me to accept him. He told me that he didn't have a lot to offer, but that he would always put God first in his life and that he loved me. He knelt down in front of a light post and pulled out a ring. I said yes, and then he explained that the ring he bought was kind of a placeholder and that tomorrow we'd go look at a place where we could design a custom ring. I'm feeling pretty attached to the ring I have now, so we'll see how different looking it ends up being.

The light post where he proposed!

I feel like the luckiest girl in the world right now, and I can't wait to start my life with my best friend!

My beautiful $100 ring. He did a really good job picking it out!



The snow where Brent knelt down to ask me to marry him. He was pretty relieved that I said yes!

9 comments:

Jordin said...

Well I am going to comment on my number one M'Recia and the joy that is to be found in this great thing that is you and Brent. I think that is a really cute story and I glad that you were aable to water it down a little bit for me.

Nikki said...

YAY!!!! GIRL I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

Dannielle said...

Aw M'Recia I didn't know you had a blog! I love the story and I'm so happy for you!!!

The Editor said...

M'Recia! Congratulations!!! This is so cute. :) If I didn't happen just barely, I would say I was surprised, you living down the street and all, but oh my gosh! Congrats!
Amanda A

Oh, and I have to do my duty and suggest:
reflectionsamomentintime.blogspot.com ;)

Clay and Brittany Drown said...

I didn't know you had a blog either! You've been holding out on me! Anyway that is very very cute. I'm really happy for both of you! That ring is awesome. Clay bought mine 5 days after being home and it only cost a few hundred bucks, saying he'd replace it with a bigger one later but now I don't even want a different one. I'm attached :) Plus we got two diamond bands later on, and this one has special memories with it!

Stephanie said...

Recia!!!! I'm so excited for you!! I love you both so much!!! Congrats lady!!!!

Nichole said...

congrats hun!!! have fun picking out your fancy ring, though i do like the traditional, kind of old fashioned look your ring has right now. :)

Mike West said...

Cool Beans, M'recia. Congrats! good thing he didn't break the bank on a ring. Kristi loves her ring and I only paid a few hundred for it. (It's actualyy a 2100 dollar ring...i just have a gift for finding things REALLY cheap online.)

What is the stone in the middle? Diamond?

Holly said...

Congratulations girl! That is SOOO exciting!!! You two are so cute!!